Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Art & Numbers

I started reading the book Arts & Numbers by Elaine Grogan Luttrull. I am really enjoying the book so far. The first part of the book really takes a hard look at the "starving artist" persona. There is nothing sexy or particularly creative about living in poverty.

Dave Chow Starving Artist
The book even begins with an anecdote about how people are shocked to hear a person is unable to read but don't shutter at someone proclaiming, "I don't do numbers." The reality of today's economy is that financial illiteracy can be just as debilitating as not being able to read at a fourth grade level. I like to say in the classes that I teach for C4 Atlanta that a budget is just a numeric representation of your vision, goals and mission. 

If numbers really aren't your thing, then get help. Partner with or hire someone who can help you understand basic concepts such as cash flow, profit and loss and debt reduction. Many cities offer classes on these topics. My organization, C4 Atlanta, just started a new class: Financial Literacy 101

And I am not coming at this from a place of finger shaking--I had to learn on the fly how these concepts applied to a small nonprofit. So I can tell you from experience that understanding them, is taking control of your creative destiny.  

No comments:

Post a Comment