Thursday, March 13, 2014

Contemplating Community and the Role of Art in It

Day 13 of the C4ward March Blogathon! Today's prompt is about community and the role of art in it (I think the blog title was a hint).

I mean, the first thing I think of is a whole body of research devoted to economic impact, quality of life, healthy citizens, the list goes on. And all of that data is great, it really is, but it doesn't really sum it up for me.

I just feel like life would be absolutely boring without art.

I was interviewed not that long ago by a group conducting research on arts districts. The research was for a feasibility study in Atlanta. I answered a ton of questions. "Economic impact" was a phrase that I recited dutifully as an arts advocate. However, it was the final answer that surprised me. It wasn't the question. It was my immediate response. I didn't prepare for the words to come out of my mouth.

The question: "What if all of the arts in Atlanta went away today? What would we lose?"

My answer: "We would lose everything. All of our records. Our history. We would lose our place in history."

I believe that. I believe that the question could have also been: "what if we just cut out your heart now? What would happen?"

But this post is about community.

It is much easier for me to talk about this over a glass of wine...or three. Here is just a quick thought:

Yes. Communities should support the arts. More specifically, I mean fund the arts. Georgia is 49th in funding for the arts. We are also at bottom in education. The arts bring in money to the state and local communities. They bring in WAY more than is allocated. The phrase "government grant" is a misnomer. The grants are actually a contract for services performed by artists and arts organizations. These services include programs for disadvantage populations, educational services, quality of life projects, etc. Art is a public good.

I will tell you more later over that glass of wine. I have to eat a very late dinner with my birthday girl!

2 comments:

  1. This was a question I couldn't wait to hear your answer, though we've had this discussion in many different iterations. I've had a lot of pride in the cities or communities I've lived in, but it wasn't until I arrive in Atlanta that I felt truly embraced - even as a stranger - and that I felt the drive to give back. YOU afforded me that opportunity when you allowed me (and artists like me) to volunteer at your organization. It was the first time in my life that I felt truly called to give back to my community in a way that felt meaningful and special. I'm looking forward to many more conversations over wine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to proof read more. Outside of that, I know of a certain Carbernet that will afford us great conversation.

      Delete