Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Rant, rant go away

Today's C4ward March prompt is about ranting...

I can rant. Boy, can I rant. I sometimes have to just get it out and let it go.

Several years ago, I had a colleague chastise me for charging artists for C4 classes. I didn't know what to say. If I wanted to take advantage of anyone, I would charge what our classes are really worth and then some. We don't because we are a nonprofit. The classes are subsidized by donors and funders. But here is the thing too, we hire artists. We pay them a good wage because we believe they deserve the pay. Yes, sometimes people (including attorneys and CPA's) volunteer to lead classes. We don't charge for those classes. We also work hard as heck to raise money for scholarships. If I built C4 on donations solely, we wouldn't be doing anyone, any good. Do you know why? Because we wouldn't survive. Donors and funders are fickle and the next generation of "givers" are not loyal...not to charities and not to brands. No matter how noble the cause.

I will say this, artists give all the time to C4 Atlanta. They mainly support our scholarship fund. And I can assure you that we use those funds, track them and make sure that we are super stewards of every donated penny. Artists give because they like our work...but more importantly they give to support their fellow artists. I am so grateful for that.

So this is no longer a rant. 

I remember I got an envelop in the mail from a friend/fellow artist. Inside this envelope was a check for $500. This was also several years ago when C4 Atlanta just started out. We barely had any programming. I started crying when I got the check because I know how hard my friend works. That money meant as much to me as a $5,000 check. She asked that she remain anonymous on our donor page. That gift was more than a monetary donation. That gift was a gesture of faith and that gesture is absolutely priceless. I saved the note that came with the check.

Everyone's business strategy is different. What that colleague did years ago was not ask questions. He didn't ask "why." He just made accusations. That hurt. We talked through it later--after I followed up and expressed how much his comments upset me. He did apologize.

2 comments:

  1. Love your dedication to your work, being a Mom, C4ATL. And realizing we are all on a journey that is in fact an experiment. The more connected we can be the better likely the experiment will work out well. C4 ATL certainly is co-creating and making connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself eventually realized that nothing is ever personal. Whatever stuff others are dealing with that gets them to blame anything on anyone comes from their own fears. Realizing that is at immense importance for an easy breezy excursion trough life. It's the fears that are yelling out, and it's not personal, thus the apology. Having a compassionate view towards that fear can help release the negativity around having to experience someone else's fear. Thank you for all the services you provide with C4. It makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete