Monday, March 3, 2014

Catching up: this one is hard for me

Okay. My organization, C4 Atlanta, along with an amazing blog-a-thon coordinator, Ruth Schowalter, presents C4ward March, a 15-day blog challenge. I missed the first two days of March. I was busy putting the final touches on a mult-month home restoration thanks to a chimney fire back in November. SO! Now I am ready to participate...

Here is today's blog prompt:


Look at your body of creative work past and present. What work is your favorite? Why? What work are you the most proud of? Why? Are they the same work or different? Explain. How would you communicate your feelings about this cherished work to a broader audience? How would you share both the work and your ideas about it with the public? 
Okay. So here's the thing. I spend a lot of time working with artists. And not-so-much time on creating art.

I started performing at age 7 (almost thirty years ago). I love theatre. I think I love rehearsals the most. I love seeing a piece go from page to script. I haven't abandoned theatre. It is suspended in my heart for the moment. Over past several years my "body of work" has been creating classes for artists. And I am proud of that work. It isn't a plan B. I am doing what I want to be doing. As for the work I am most proud of: Fuse Arts Center. I love that space. I am proud to have a center for art creation downtown. But more than that, there is exists a place for potlucks. All of our programming leads back to one idea: community. Building community around a shared interest--a desire to dedicate a life to working in the arts. A desire to capture a moment in time.

Fuse Arts Center Lobby
Here is what I think about art and supporting artists: we need it. We (people) need (cannot live without) it (art). It is as the heart of how we survived on this planet. It is how we communicate, it is how we share stories, it is how we spread democracy (which is predicated on the idea that citizens have a right to information, ideas, etc.). We need it. I will do everything in my power to help artists to continue advancing the human condition. I am proud of that and I am proud of the people I work with and meet everyday who share that vision. This blog is one way to share those ideas. Maybe another way to continue sharing my ideas is to talk about it more and seek out others who share and support this notion.

C4 Atlanta Arts Potluck - Love these! 

And to be sentimental... my greatest works are eleven (going on twelve) and fifteen.

I actually DO create. I work on projects at home. None of them I display or sell. I also have a variety of character voices--at least one for each pet (three dogs, 5 hens, a cat and a bird).

No comments:

Post a Comment