Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Kids and art making.

I posted a link on the C4 Atlanta blog to an article that cites resources for artist-parents. Great resource. It isn't always easy being a parent--no matter the profession. I stayed home with my kids for several years and just worked evenings and weekends. THAT wasn't easy. But I have a few memories of trying to be a performer-slash-parent that still trouble me.

I once auditioned for a touring children's show. Once...in another galaxy (decade ago or so). At this time in my life, I had something under "special skills" on my resume about being able to drive, eat and sing Barney songs to my toddler. After I auditioned for the show I was asked about my daughter. I was asked how old she was and got some mumblings such, "aww. How precious." And then the smile on the director's face faded a bit, "do you think you will be okay touring without your daughter? Won't you miss her?" I didn't know how to respond. I knew even from my limited retail management experience that I could get fired for asking those types of questions during an interview. Of course I would miss her! Did that make me unqualified? Does a person who travels a lot for any other job miss their children? Sure they do! The thing that got me was that this person would never consider herself anything but a supporter of women's rights. I may not have been right for the part. My audition may have sucked. But don't ask me whether or not I can "handle" the responsibility of raising a child and working. People do it everyday.

Several years later... I had my second daughter. I just re-entered the world of acting. She was several
Where you pump at work
months old. Still breast feeding but she also ate solid foods and dad could give her a bottle of milk. I still pumped, though. I didn't want to stop breast feeding. Long story a little shorter...I was working on a show and the cast went on break. I needed to pump. I didn't really have anywhere to go. So I sat in my car, ate my lunch and pumped. It is not that I expected anyone to go out of his/her way to accommodate me. I was the only, that I know of, lactating cast member. I just remember feeling like I wish I had somewhere a little more dignified to go. Not my car.

It is great to see a resource that brings together artists who are also parents. The two shouldn't be mutually exclusive. We are a community. We should support one another.

Is it easy? No. But not much about having kids is easy except for hugs and "I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment